Modern Ghana logo

FEATURED: [trailer] Anas To Drop Shocking Video On Children At Orphanage Eating ...

body-container-line
06.02.2006 Regional News

Wenchi Methodist Girl's dormitory block gutted by fire

By GNA

Wenchi (B/A), Feb. 6, GNA - The female dormitory block of Wenchi Methodist Secondary School in Brong-Ahafo was on Friday gutted by fire suspected to have been caused by an electrical fault. Property destroyed, including the school fees of some of the students, was estimated at several billions of cedis.

The students' beddings, clothes, plastic buckets and containers, books as well as the roofing of the block and electrical fittings were destroyed. There were no casualties, according to the school authorities.

The housemistress Mrs Juliana Ackah told the Ghana News Agency that the fire was detected at about 2100 hours when the students had just closed from evening studies.

Mrs. Ackah said about six million cedis was lost by some of the students who had just gone in for their school fees and were due to pay to the school's authorities on Monday.

Mr. John Kwao Donkor, Headmaster, said the school authorities had after consultations with the Regional Education Directorate decided to close down the institution for a week.

He explained that the closure of the school was to help control the emotional anxiety of the displaced girls and the entire student population.

The headmaster commended personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service for their timely response to the distress call, or else the damage would have been unimaginable.

Mrs. Ibrahim Bintu Farizana, District Chief Executive, who visited the school, expressed grave concern about the trauma caused to the students and said the Assembly would provide some relief items. The Very Reverend Christopher K. Dadson, Superintendent Minister in-charge of Wenchi Methodist Church, said the church would inform its authorities in Accra to arrange for the necessary support for the school.

body-container-line