Kumasi, Jan. 23, GNA- A Kumasi circuit court on Monday granted two billion cedis bail to two persons, who allegedly defrauded 17 people of 971.9 million cedis under the pretext of securing them with Canadian visas.
The accused Kwame Boateng, a trader and Prempeh Kesse alias 'Doctor', a businessman, who claimed to be a United Nations official, pleaded not guilty and will on January 31 re-appear before the court presided over by Mr Ernest Yao Obimpeh.
Police Chief Inspector Matthew Asante told the court that between June last year and January this year, Boateng collected various sums of monies from the complainants and in turns introduced them to Kesse for the acquisition of the visas.
The prosecutor said Kesse allegedly secured passports embossed with Canadian visas to 13 of the complainants who had made full payments of the required amount.
Chief Inspector Asante said when the complainants presented their passports at the Canadian embassy in Accra, it was detected that the visas embossed on the travelling documents were fake.