FEATURED: Gender Crisis In Ghana: The Perceptive Controversy Over The Legalizati...

04.01.2006 General News

Jojo confirmed thugs attacked him - Ahwoi

Listen to article

Accra, Jan. 4, GNA - Mr Kwamena Ahwoi, Senior Lecturer at the Ghana Institute of Management and Public Administration (GIMPA), on Wednesday told an Accra Circuit Court that Jojo Bruce Quansah, who is being tried by the court, rang to confirm to him that he was attacked by eight thugs on November 8 2005.

Mr Ahwoi, a prosecution witness in the case, told the Court presided over by Mr Samuel Kwame Asiedu that Jojo told him that he lost consciousness as a result of the attack, and after becoming conscious; he sought refuge with a doctor friend at Tema.

Jojo, standing trial on a charge of a deceit of a public officer had pleaded not guilty to the charge.

He had been admitted to bail in the sum of 50 million cedis with a surety to be justified.

Continuing with his evidence, Mr Ahwoi said he then informed Jojo about the necessary steps he had taken, and advised him to surrender to the Police.

Earlier, Mr Ahwoi told the court that on November 9 last year, he received several calls, one of which was from somebody who only identified herself as Chistie.

Mr Ahwoi said since Christie gave him some information about Jojo, he considered it to be important enough, because Jojo was then involved in a matter between him and Mr George Kufuor, a brother of President John Agyekum Kufuor.

The Prosecution Witness told the Court that he then drove to the Police Headquarters with the intention to meet the Inspector-General of Police (IGP).

Mr Ahwoi said because the IGP had travelled outside Accra, he managed to meet his two deputies, who after listening to his story arranged for him to see the Director of Criminal Investigations Department (CID).

Mr Ahwoi told the court that the CID Director introduced two CID personnel as the officers, who would be handling the matter after assuring him that the Police would initiate action on it. The Prosecution Witness said after Jojo had rang to confirm Christie's message, the two agreed to meet the CID personnel at the Tema end of the Motorway, the following morning.

Mr Ahwoi said after waiting in vain with the CID men for Jojo up till 0830 hours, Jojo called him in the afternoon and informed him that he was on a medication that put him to sleep, and that was why he could not turn up.

Mr Ahwoi told the court that upon an agreement, to meet on the same day, he drove Jojo in his vehicle, while the CID men drove in another one to the CID Headquarters where he was asked to give his statement to another officer.

Dr Samuel Otu Nyarko, Public Health Specialist at the Police Hospital, the next Prosecution Witness told the court that Jojo came to the hospital in the company of CID operatives.

Dr Nyarko said Jojo told him that he was assaulted by about five men with wet towels on the previous day, who he alleged beat him several times in the back and the abdomen.

The Public Health Specialist said because Jojo alleged that he was in pains, he examined him physically, stripping him to the waist, in order to see the extent of damage.

Dr Nyarko told the court that he found no evidence of Jojo's claim, but said since he was in a stress, a little bit agitated, he prescribed some drugs for him.

In answer to a question under cross-examination by Nana Adjei Ampofo, counsel for Jojo, Dr Nyarko replied in the affirmative that when he took Jojo's pressure on the day he was referred to him, it read 120/80.

Counsel said a day before, his client's pressure read 150/80, and when he wanted to suggest to the Witness that that meant there was something wrong with his client, the Prosecution objected to the suggestion, saying that since the information was not in evidence, the witness should not answer.

The case for the Prosecution was that on November 8 2005, Jojo, editor of the "Palaver' an Accra private newspaper, alleged that he was attacked by eight men in masks at his Amanfrom residence near Kasoa, who inflicted bodily injuries on him.

The Prosecution stated that Jojo told a lady he met in a taxicab to relay to Mr Ahwoi that his life was in danger.

The Prosecution said upon receiving the message, Mr Ahwoi lodged a complaint with the Police that Jojo was missing. The Prosecution said the Police immediately started investigations into the matter, but on the second day of investigations, Jojo suddenly appeared at the CID Headquarters.

The Prosecution said a medical report from the Police Hospital confirmed that Jojo was not attacked as he allegedly claimed. According to the Prosecution, since Jojo's action contravened the law, he was consequently charged with a deceit of a public officer.

The matter was adjourned to Monday, January 9 for the Prosecution to call its next witness.

Modern Ghana Links