ModernGhanalogo

FEATURED: True Descendants Of Ab-Ram Are Indeed In Ghana!!...

body-container-line-1
30.11.2005 Regional News

Minister visits fire victims

By GNA
Listen to article

Kumasi, Nov. 30, GNA - Mr Sampson Kwaku Boafo, Ashanti Regional Minister on Wednesday paid a visit to the three mechanics who suffered burns when a Mazda taxicab on which they were working caught fire at the Suame Magazine in Kumasi last Monday.

The victims, Osei Kwasi, 40, Evans Kwadwo Yeboah, 25, and Yaw Darko, 22, all mechanics at the magazine, a light industrial area in Kumasi are currently on admission at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) where they are receiving treatment.

They are all in stable conditions, according to doctors. The Minister was accompanied on his visit by Dr Patrick Karikari, Medical Director at the KATH, Assistant Chief Fire Officer Obeng Dwamena, Regional Commander of the Ghana National Fire Service and Nana K. Oppong, Regional Vice-Chairman of the Ghana National Association of Garages (GNAG).

Narrating the incident to the Regional Minister, Mr Osei Kwasi, who suffered severe burns said at about 1400 hours on that day one of his customers brought a vehicle to him to replace its back windscreen which was broken.

He said in the course of replacing the screen, he realized that the gas in the car was leaking and as he was opening the car's boot to identify the fault it caught fire and exploded. In the process, he said the victims who were closer to the scene got burnt whilst property worth several millions of cedis was also destroyed.

Mr Boafo wished them speedy recovery and called on car mechanics, especially welders to be security conscious and always wear protective costumes and eye goggles while working.

The Regional Minister later visited the scene of the incident to familiarize himself with the situation at first hand.

He took the opportunity to address the artisans and said discussions were currently underway with the Ministry of Interior to establish a fire station in the area to help fight fire due to the artisan's susceptibility to fire by the nature of their jobs.

body-container-line