No Cholera outbreak reported in Brong-Ahafo Region - Dr Asare Sunyani(B/A),Oct.19, GNA - Dr. Daniel Asare, Medical Superintendent of the Brong Ahafo Regional Hospital at Sunyani on Wednesday said not a single case on cholera had been reported at the hospital this year.
He, however, advised the people that to safeguard against an outbreak of the disease in the region, they should desist from eating cold food and be careful about their places where they eat. Speaking to Ghana News Agency (GNA) at Sunyani Dr. Asare advised the people to wash their hands with soap before and after eating to avoid contracting the disease.
"Anyone found vomiting should report immediately to the nearest health institution for study," He warned.
The Medical Superintendent said cholera was one of the most dangerous communicable diseases and warned the people about their life-styles and eating habits.
Dr Asare condemned the indiscriminate disposal of refuse and called on Municipal and District Assemblies to provide refuse containers at vantage points to ensure proper waste disposal. He advised food vendors to ensure hygienic conditions at their selling points and drivers who convey suspected cholera patients to health institutions to wash their vehicles with detergents to protect other passengers. Kumasi South Hospital records 20 cholera cases Kumasi, Oct.19, GNA - The Kumasi South Hospital at Kyirapatre within the Kumasi Metropolis recorded 20 cases of cholera within a week. Dr Frank Abebrese, Medical Superintendent in-charge of the hospital, in an interview with the Ghana News Agency in Kumasi on Tuesday, said the patients all resident within the Kumasi Metropolis were on admission at the hospital and responding to treatment. He said in view of the seriousness of the situation, the hospital had sought assistance from the Ashanti Regional Health Directorate to manage the situation. Dr Abebrese called on residents within the Metropolis to report early signs of cholera to the hospital to prevent deaths. He advised the residents to observe simple hygiene because cholera was mainly caused by filth. Cholera outbreak reported at Betiako Tepa(Ash), Oct.19, GNA - Thirty cases of cholera outbreak have been reported at Kojo-Betiako in the Ahafo-Ano North district in the Ashanti Region since October 13. Three patients whose conditions are critical are on admission at the Tepa District Hospital and responding to treatment while the rest were treated and discharged at Kojo-Betiako Health Centre and Tepa hospital.
Mrs Elizabeth Adentwi, Acting District Director of Health Services, who disclosed this to newsmen, said the district had the necessary logistics to contain the situation. She said to curb the spread of the disease, the Directorate had intensified education campaign at Kojo-Betiako and its environs as well as other parts of the district.
Mrs Adentwi called on the people to ensure environmental cleanliness and practice personal hygiene. She advised the people to report all cases of diarrhoea with vomiting to the nearest health clinic or hospital for treatment.