Accra, Oct. 10, GNA - The first batch of about 2,000 candidates, who had problems with their placement in Secondary Schools (SSS) this year would be ready between Wednesday and Friday, Mrs Margaret Andan, Director Secondary Education Division, told the GNA in Accra on Monday. She said the Computerised Centre would print out the names of students, who had been placed and send the list to the Regional Directorates of Education. She, therefore, asked parents and wards to contact Regional Coordinators to find out the schools where they had been placed and not the Centre or Ghana Education Service (GES). Mrs Andan said the placement was possible because some schools had declared their vacancies, which enabled the Centre to place some students while still waiting for the rest of the schools to declare their vacancies. She said GES was still receiving and sorting petitions to place candidates in the areas of their request according to merit. Mrs Andan said by Tuesday, the Conference of Heads of Assisted Schools would have held their regional conferences and taken decisions on candidates, who did not report and indicate if they had any additional vacancies.
Mrs Andan said GES was working very had to satisfy parents but told parents to be mindful of the fact that not all candidates would get admission because even in the previous years it was not every candidate that was admitted into the SSS. "Whilst some candidates want to go into tailoring, hairdressing, others want to enter into some kind of trade instead of continuing the education to the SSS level."
According to her some Schools admitted more students last year than this year so they still had vacancies to admit more students. When the GNA visited the Computerized Placement Centre, the staff were seen very busy doing the placements.