A Quick Response To The FDA Alkalinity Water Statement
Recently, The FDA issued a statement on alkaline water to be accessed at https://www.ghanaweb.com/.../No-evidence-alkaline-water-prevents-cardiovascular-di
The Food and Drugs Authority has cautioned the public to disregard claims that water with higher PH level [Alkaline Water] “prevents the onset of cardiovascular and other diseases”.
A statement signed by Ag. Chief Executive Officer of the Authority, Delese A.A. Darko, indicated there is no evidence as yet that supports the claims made in a viral video purporting that water with high PH [more alkaline] is better for health reasons than other brands which are less alkaline. “There is no documented peer review evidence which has been internationally accepted and endorsed by the WHO and the Medical Community indicating that drinking water of more alkaline nature impact good health better than other drinking water”, it stated.
The statement further explains that drinking water as standardized by the World Health Organization (WHO), CODEX and the Ghana Standards Authority should have a PH level ranging between 6.5 and 8.5. Per the statement, any water that falls outside the range is not suitable for drinking.
My takes on alkaline water
Let me begin by stating clearly and congratulate the FDA for their response on this... But as a concerned citizen I have decided to provide the FDA with some studies on alkaline water for their perusal and further action on their response again on these studies.
“There is no documented peer review evidence which has been internationally accepted and endorsed by the WHO and the Medical Community indicating that drinking water of more alkaline nature impact good health better than other drinking water”. The FDA says.
And since the topic it addresses is so fundamental and so important to health and has already generated hundreds of queries. If you base objections around the claims of marketers, you can throw out virtually any health alternative. Just because marketers make silly claims for alkaline water doesn't mean that it doesn't have real benefits, and therefore, we shouldn't throw the baby out with the alkaline bath water so to speak. In truth, there are very, very few legitimate scientific studies about the effects of alkaline water on human health. That said, there is "in truth" far more scientific evidence in support of alkaline water. Yes, most of it involves animal studies, but there are over two dozen of them, which are human studies. And even the pioneer Mayo clinic acknowledges the potential of alkaline water to slow bone loss in the article “Is alkaline water better for you than plain water? To be accessed https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eatin
Here are just a handful studies for FDA to go through and accessed for both human and animals and respond appropriately as this subject is very significant.
- Selective stimulation of the growth of anaerobic microflora in the human intestinal tract by electrolyzed reducing water
- Acid-base balance and hydration status following consumption of mineral-based alkaline bottled water by Daniel P Heil Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition
- Enhanced induction of mitochondrial damage and apoptosis in human leukemia HL-60 cells due to electrolyzed-reduced water and glutathione By Tsai CF et al Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2009 Feb;73(2):280-7. Epub 2009 Feb 7.
- Protective mechanism of reduced water against alloxan-induced pancreatic beta-cell damage: Scavenging effect against reactive oxygen species . by Li Y et al Cytotechnology. 2002 Nov;40(1-3):139-49. doi: 10.1023/A:1023936421448.
- Inhibitory effect of electrolyzed reduced water on tumor angiogenesis . by Ye J et al Biol Pharm Bull. 2008 Jan;31(1):19-26.
- Anti-diabetic effect of alkaline-reduced water on OLETF rats . by Jin D et al Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2006 Jan;70(1):31-7.
The Animal studies:
This is a selection of Clinical Studies on the use of Alkaline Ionized (Reduced) Water. You can get all the abstract here: http://detoxifynow.com/clinical-studies-ionized-alkaline-water/
- Anti-diabetic effects of electrolysed reduced water in streptococci-induced and genetic diabetic mice. Kim MJ, Kim HK. PMID: 16945392 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]Life Sci. 2006 Nov 10;79(24):2288-92. Epub 2006 Aug 2
- Preservative effect of electrolyzed reduced water on pancreatic beta-cell mass in diabetic db/db mice. Kim MJ, Jung KH, Uhm YK, Leem KH, Kim HK. PMID: 17268057 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]Biol Pharm Bull. 2007 Feb;30(2):234-6
- Electrolyzed-reduced water protects against oxidative damage to DNA, RNA, and protein.Lee MY, Kim YK, Ryoo KK, Lee YB, Park EJ. PMID: 17159237 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE] Appl Biochem Biotechnol. 2006 Nov;135(2):133-44
- The mechanism of the enhanced antioxidant effects against superoxide anion radicals of reduced water produced by electrolysis. Hanaoka K, Sun D, Lawrence R, Kamitani Y, Fernandes G. PMID: 14871602 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE] Biophys Chem. 2004 Jan 1;107(1):71-82
- Electrolyzed-reduced water reduced hemodialysis-induced erythrocyte impairment in end-stage renal disease patients. Huang KC, Yang CC, Hsu SP, Lee KT, Liu HW, Morisawa S, Otsubo K, Chien CT. PMID: 16760903 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE] Kidney Int. 2006 Jul;70(2):391-8. Epub 2006 Jun 7
- Influences of alkaline ionized water on milk yield, body weight of offspring and perinatal dam in rats. J Toxicol Sci. 1998 Dec;23(5):365-71. Watanabe T , Pan I , Fukuda Y , Murasugi E , Kamata H , Uwatoko K .
- Histopathological influence of alkaline ionized water on myocardial muscle of mother rats. J Toxicol Sci. 1998 Dec;23(5):411- Watanabe T , Shirai W , Pan I , Fukuda Y , Murasugi E , Sato T , Kamata H
- Degradation of myocardiac myosin and creatine kinase in rats given alkaline ionized water. J Vet Med Sci. 1998 Feb;60(2):245-50. Watanabe T , Kishikawa Y .
- Influence of alkaline ionized water on rat erythrocyte hexokinase activity and myocardium. J Toxicol Sci. 1997 May;22(2):141-52. Watanabe T , Kishikawa Y , Shirai W .
- Effect of alkaline ionized water on reproduction in gestational and lactational rats. J Toxicol Sci. 1995 May;20(2):135-42. Watanabe T .
- Impact of extra waters on immunosystem in mice Wei Sheng Yan Jiu. 2004 Jul;33(4):422-5. [Article in Chinese]
- Selective stimulation of the growth of anaerobic microflora in the human intestinal tract by electrolysed reducing water. Med Hypotheses. 2005;64(3):543-6. Vorobjeva NV .
- Water desirable for health in terms of ORP (oxidation-reduction potential) to pH relationship. Review PMID: 16180690 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE] Shokuhin Eiseigaku Zasshi. 2005 Aug;46(4):J228-33. [Article in Japanese]Okouchi S.
- Influences of alkaline ionized water on milk electrolyte concentrations in maternal rats. J Toxicol Sci. 2000 Dec;25(5):417-22. Watanabe T , Kamata H , Fukuda Y , Murasugi E , Sato T , Uwatoko K , Pan IJ .
- Electrolyzed-reduced water scavenges active oxygen species and protects DNA from oxidative damage. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1997 May 8;234(1):269-74. Shirahata S , Kabayama S , Nakano M , Miura T , Kusumoto K , Gotoh M , Hayashi H , Otsubo K , Morisawa S , Katakura Y .
- The mechanism of the enhanced antioxidant effects against superoxide anion radicals of reduced water produced by electrolysis. Biophys Chem. 2004 Jan 1;107(1):71-82. Hanaoka K , Sun D , Lawrence R , Kamitani Y , Fernandes G .
- Protective mechanism of reduced water against alloxan-induced pancreatic beta-cell damage: Scavenging effect against reactive oxygen species . Authors: Li Y.1; Nishimura T.1; Teruya K.1; Maki T.1; Komatsu T.1; Hamasaki T.1; Kashiwagi T.1; Kabayama S.2; Shim S-Y.1; Katakura Y.1; Osada K.1; Kawahara T.1; Otsubo K.2; Morisawa S.2; Ishii Y.3; Gadek Z.4; Shirahata S.5 Source: Cytotechnology, Volume 40, Numbers 1-3, 2002, pp. 139-149(11) .Publisher: Springer
- Electrolyzed hydrogen-saturated water for drinking use elicits an antioxidative effect: a feeding test with rats. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2005 Oct;69(10):1985-7 Yanagihara T, Arai K, Miyamae K, Sato B, Shudo T, Yamada M, Aoyama M.
- Effects of supplementing of calcium, iron and zinc on women’s health during pregnancy . Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2001 Nov;35(6):365-9. [Article in Chinese] An H, Yin S, Xu Q.
- Supplementation with alkaline minerals reduces symptoms in patients with chronic low back pain. 1: J Trace Elem Med Biol. 2001;15(2-3):179-83. Vormann J, Worlitschek M, Goedecke T, Silver B.
Some mountain springs are slightly acidic, depending on the minerals naturally occurring in them. But the most famous mountain waters in the world, waters renowned for their healing properties, are highly alkaline. I'm referring to the waters coming down from the Himalayas, and specifically to the waters of the Hunza valley, which have a pH that runs between 9 and 11.
Thank you and God bless our Home land Ghana.
Dr. Raphael Nyarkotey Obu: PhD(A.M) is a science writer and National President of the Alternative Medical Association of Ghana(AMAG)He is a member of the Prostate cancer transatlantic consortium, a firm researching into prostate cancer in black community.
Disclaimer: "The views/contents expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the author(s) and do not neccessarily reflect those of Modern Ghana. Modern Ghana will not be responsible or liable for any inaccurate or incorrect statements contained in this article."
Reproduction is authorised provided the author's permission is granted.