Modern Ghana logo

FEATURED: Can We Blame Religion For Africa’s Economic Woes?...

body-container-line
24.08.2005 Regional News

Road projects in Awutu-Senya staterd

GNA

Senya Beraku (C/R), Aug 24, GNA - The government has embarked on a number of road projects in the Awutu-Senya Constituency at the cost of 9.99 billion cedis.

These include the surfacing of the 10.45-kilometer Akotsi Junction-Senya Beraku road, the 4.55-kilometer Senya Petuduase road, the 5.75-kilometer Krobkyire-Gomoa Fetteh road and the 5- kilometre Gomoa Potsin Junction/Awombrew road.

Additionally, the 6-kilometer Okushibladze/Gomoa road would be surfaced dressed this year.

Mr Richard Anane, the Minister of Road Transport, said this in an address read for him at a durbar to round off the annual Akomase festival of the chiefs and people of Senya Beraku on Tuesday. Mr Anane said the government has taken note of the condition of the roads in the district and is committed to improving them. ''Of the 234 kilometres of feeder roads in the district, 56 per cent are in good condition while the remaining 44 per cent are in poor state.

Mr Atto Essuman, a Council of State member, told the people of his determination to lead the region to develop and would assist to promote education.

He said he would offer scholarships to two brilliant students from each of the districts in the region to enter senior secondary school this academic year and appealed to the district assemblies to submit names for the smooth take off of the scheme.

Mr Essuman presented 600 books to stock the local library and a cheque for five million cedis towards their education fund. Hajia Alima Hahama, the Minister of Women and Children's Affairs, appealed to the people not to give out their children to be taken to Yeji for fishing.

She said in a speech read on her behalf that with the promulgation to the Children's Bill anybody caught indulging in child trafficking would be prosecuted.

Mr Solomon Abban-Quaye, the District Chief Executive for Awutu-Effutu-Senya, urged the people to honour their tax obligation to enable the assembly earn enough revenue to undertake development projects.

body-container-line