Libya’s Economy under Muammar Qaddafi Was Better than Of Europe And America
Society calls an idle hand a lazy person but when you work very hard, all eyes will be on you because of jealousy, fear, and hate. That's Qaddafi's story. Before Qaddafi was killed he had turned Libya into one of the wealthiest countries in the world.
"Through political strategy, they keep us hungry and when you gonna get some food, your brother got to be your enemy," sings Bob Marley 'Ambush In The Night.'
The American government under NATO operation in 2011, helped to overthrow Muammar Qaddafi but left the country deeply unstable. It worth to ask why such a country in Africa that citizens lack nothing to be in such a total destruction?
Gaddafi's prophecy before death
In anguish and desperation, Qaddafi said "I will not go into exile to any foreign country. I was born here in Libya and I will die here. This country was a dessert, and I turned it into a forest, where everything can grow."
"No one loves this land more than its citizens. If Europe and America tell you that they love you, be careful. They love the wealth of your land. The oil and not the people."
"They are helping you to fight against me but it will be wise for you to fight against them because they are fighting against your future and progress. My message to you the people of Libya is, they are helping you to kill me but you will pay the price because you will suffer."
"My message to you America and Europe is you will kill me, but be ready to fight a never-ending TERRORISM. Before you realize your ignorance, terrorists will be hitting you at your doorstep."
Power and greed push world leaders to do evil things they called policies. Even though, one may accomplish the task the later results could be more than what you have bargained for. Europe and America have spent millions in fighting terrorism just as Gaddafi had predicted and it will continue without ceasing. Above all, Libyans are suffering without any remedy or hope.
A glance at the 'paradise' Libya before Qaddafi's assassination
1. There is no electricity bill in Libya, electricity is free for all its citizens.
2. There is no interest on loans, banks in Libya are state-owned and loans given to all its citizens are at a 0% interest by law.
3. Home is considered a human right in Libya. Qaddafi vowed that his parents would not get a house until everyone in Libya had a home.
4. All newlyweds in Libya receive $60,000 Dinars (US$50,000) from the government to buy their first apartment.
5. Education and medical treatments are free in Libya. Before Qaddafi, only 25% of Libyans were literates. Today, the figure stands at 83%.
6. Libyans taking up farming as a career, they received farmland, a farming house, equipment, seeds and livestock to kick-start their farms – all for free.
7. If Libyans cannot find the education or medical facilities they needed in Libya, the government funded them to go abroad for it.
8. In Qaddafi's Libya, if a Libyan buys a car, the government subsidized 50% of the price.
9. The price of petrol in Libya is $0. 14 per liter.
10. Libya has no external debt and its reserves amount to $150 billion – now frozen globally.
11. If a Libyan is unable to get employment after graduation, the state would pay the average salary of the profession as if he or she is employed until employment is found.
12. A portion of Libyan oil sale is credited directly to the bank accounts of all Libyan citizens.
13. A mother who gave birth to a child under Qaddafi receives the US $5,000 as child benefit upfront.
14. 40 loaves of bread in Libya costs $ 0.15
15. 25% of Libyans have a university degree
16. Qaddafi carried out the world’s largest irrigation project, known as the Great Man-Made River Project, to make water readily available throughout the desert country.
17. Afriqiyah Airways, Libyan airline was one of the cheapest flights in the world. Less than 400 Euros could take Africans to their respective countries and back to Europe. Now the West is making a lot of profit with expensive tickets over more than 1000 Euros to African destinations.
If the achievement of this African leader is underestimated or if he is called 'Dictator,' then I wonder what type of leadership the Democrats have? Qaddafi did what Obama, George W. Bush and Tony Blair couldn't do in their entire lives as politicians.
Africa's bitter experience has made them tougher than any continent in the world. They have survived slavery, colonial aggression, racism, discrimination, Apartheid, Lassa fever, Aids, and Ebola. What is next?
Shockingly, despite all the bitter experience and unpleasant situation Africa has passed through, the continent registers the lowest rate of suicide among the rest of the continents in the world. Is it not amazing? There is a lot the world could learn from Africa.
Without a word, African leaders watched for the country to be destroyed and the leader killed. Obedient masters who don't want to lose their foreign aid from the destroyers once again betrayed Africa as previously done after slavery, colonialism, Apartheid, Aids, and Ebola.
My message to all African leaders is: "Don't be angry if Trump calls the African continent 'shithole nations' because you deserve it."
Disclaimer: "The views/contents expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of Joel Savage and do not neccessarily reflect those of Modern Ghana.