Court bans driver from driving for one year
Mamponteng (Ash), Aug 19, GNA - The Mamponteng magistrate court in the Kwabre district of Ashanti on Thursday banned a 30-year-old driver from driving for 12 months.
Osumanu Adams was, in addition fined 9.5 million cedis and will in default serve a 21-month prison term in hard labour. He pleaded guilty to three counts of careless driving, driving without a license and use of vehicle without owner's consent. Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Francis Kpornu Mensah told the court, presided over by Mr Uuter P. Dery that on July 26, this year, Adams who resides at Ntonso had a fight with a neighbour at a drinking bar, stabbed him and got into a bus and drove in anger. The prosecution said the accused, who was being chased by some neighbours to apprehend him ran the vehicle into a mini bus which was parked at Ahwiaa on which were about seven tourists who were injured in the process and had to be rushed to hospital.
ASP Mensah, who is also the Kwabre District Police Commander, said after the accident, Adams tried to escape but was chased and arrested by a police team at Buokrom who had been alerted about the accident. He said during interrogation, it came to light that the accused had no driving license and was also not authorised by anyone to drive the bus and was consequently charged with the offences.