Modern Ghana logo

FEATURED: Can We Blame Religion For Africa’s Economic Woes?...

body-container-line
17.08.2005 General News

22 people get ready for Ansa-Asare

GNA
Accra, Aug. 17, GNA - Twenty- two persons have so far lodged complaints with the Committee set up to hear allegations of impropriety and misconduct against Mr Kwaku Ansa-Asare, Director of the Ghana School of Law.
Briefing the press, Mr Justice Joseph Bawa Akamba, Chairman of the Committee of Inquiry, said the Committee received three petitions each on Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday.
As at Tuesday morning 16 persons had lodged complaints with the Committee.
He said the Committee would today serve Mr Ansa-Asare formally with relevant documents for him to appear before it.
Justice Akamba said the Committee hoped to receive more petitions before hearing commenced on Thursday, August 18 at the Supreme Court. The Minister of Justice and Attorney General, Mr Ayikoi Otoo set up the Committee following allegations made against Mr Ansa-Asare. However, Mr Ansa-Asare has challenged the Minister saying he "has no power by himself to set up and inaugurate a Disciplinary Committee of whatever description to probe allegations of mal-administration and conflict of interest against me".
In a signed statement he sent to Ghana News Agency, Mr Ansa-Asare said he had sent a letter to the Attorney - General about his lack of authority and the illegality of the steps he had taken in setting up the said Committee.
"The law already provides a remedy for any one, who has cause to complain about the professional conduct of a Lawyer to take the matter to the Disciplinary Committee of the General Legal Council set up under the Legal Profession Act 32 of 1960," he said in the statement.


body-container-line