Accra, Aug. 16, GNA - Hearing on the allegations of impropriety and misconduct against Mr Kwaku Ansa-Asare, Director of the Ghana School of Law, has been postponed to Thursday.
In an interview with the Ghana News Agency, Justice Joseph Bawa Akamba, Chairman of the Committee of Inquiry, said the postponement was because the public was not well informed about the hearing.
He said this was affecting the rate at which petitions were being filed, adding that the committee needed different petitions bordering on different allegations to be able to effectively decide on the case.
"If 30 people are making the same allegation, then we are not learning anything new," he said.
Justice Akamba said 16 petitions have so far been received from the public and the committee hoped to receive more before beginning hearing. Members of the public who wish to submit petitions on the case should do so at the Chief Justice's office between August 16 and August 18.
The Minister of Justice and Attorney - General, Mr J. Ayikoi Otu set up the Committee following allegations made against Mr Ansa-Asare. However, Mr Ansa-Asare has challenged the Minister saying he "has no power by himself to set up and inaugurate a Disciplinary Committee of whatever description to probe allegations of mal-administration and conflict of interest against me".
In a signed statement he sent to Ghana News Agency, Mr Ansa-Asare said he had sent a letter to the Attorney - General about his lack of authority and the illegality of the steps he had taken in setting up the said Committee.
"The law already provides a remedy for any one, who has cause to complain about the professional conduct of a Lawyer to take the matter to the Disciplinary Committee of the General Legal Council set up under the Legal Profession Act 32 of 1960," he said in the statement.