Modern Ghana logo

FEATURED: Can We Blame Religion For Africa’s Economic Woes?...

14.08.2005 General News

Bishop Owusu-Tabiri laid to rest


Sunyani (B/A), Aug. 14, GNA - Bishop (Dr) Paul Kwaku Owusu-Tabiri, Founder and Leader of Bethel Prayer Ministry International (BPMI) who died in Accra on June 2, this year, was on Saturday laid to rest at Tanforo, near Dormaa-Ahenkro in Brong-Ahafo Region.

The late Bishop, 69, left behind 12 children, made up of seven sons and five daughters. He also left behind many adopted sons and daughters. Among the dignitaries who attended the official ceremony preceding the funeral held at Sunyani Coronation Park before the burial took place at Tanforo were Mr. Mike Ocquaye, Minister of Energy who represented President John Agyekum Kufuor, Mr. Joseph Henry Mensah, Senior Minister, Mrs. Theresah Kufuor, the First Lady whose official visit to some parts of the region co-incided with the funeral ceremony, Nana Kwadwo Seinti, the Regional Minister, Mr. Ignatius Baffour-Awuah, deputy Regional Minister and Mr. Kwame Twumasi, Sunyani Municipal Chief Executive. The traditional chiefs included Nana Bosoma Asor Nkrawiri, Omanhene of Sunyani, Ogyewodin (Professor) Gyamfi Ampem, Omanhene of Acherensua, Nana Mintah Afare II, chief of Chiraa, near Sunyani who represented the Dormaahene.

On behalf of the President, a total of eight million cedis and 10 crates of minerals were donated. Five million cedis out of the money went to the late Bishop's wife, two million cedis to the children and one million to the family.

Bishop Samuel Richard Addae, of Shilo United Church, Ghana and Moderator of International Ministerial Council of Great Britain in Ghana, West Africa, performed the sermon preceding the burial. The late Bishop Owusu-Tabiri, who was also a retired Police Officer was accorded the full honour as ex-police officer from the outfit of the Inspector General of Police as he sent a delegation from Accra and under the supervision of Superintendent (Rev.) Samuel Kofi Abayie who led a 50-member contingent of the Security Services to offer the necessary last respect to their former colleague.

The body, originally arranged and planned to be buried at a well-prepared tomb at the Church's Camp in Sunyani eventually had to be transported to Tanforo for burial as agreed upon by both the Bethel Church Executive Council and the representatives of the family.

But before the body was taken away to Tanforo, from the Coronation Park, it was sent first to the Bethel Camp, the casket placed on the prepared tomb and after a brief prayer it was taken into an awaiting ambulance brought from Dormaa-Ahenkro by the family and then to Tanforo for the burial.