Businessman on billion-cedi bail for destruction of property
Accra, Aug. 11, GNA - William A Kodua, an Accra businessman, who allegedly led three other persons to destroy a building foundation and fence wall valued at 930 million cedis at East Legon, in Accra, was on Thursday granted one billion cedis bail by a circuit court in Accra after spending three days on remand.
Mr. Ofori Adueni, counsel for Kodua had filed an application for bail on behalf of his client at the court's sitting on Thursday following the accused person's remand on Monday.
In the dock with Kodua, Managing Director of Salem Investment Limited, were Oblitey, Adjei Nmashie, and Ashoot, all workers of the company.
They all pleaded not guilty to various counts of conspiracy to commit crime, forcible entry and causing damage to property and were each granted one billion cedis bail with two sureties to be justified until August 25.
Police Chief Inspector E.T Boison had told the court that Kodua bought a parcel of land at Maadwor, near East Legon from a faction of the Nunmo Mashie family of Accra, which the legitimate owners had already sold to Mr William Ansah in 1998.
Chief Inspector Boison said even though Kodua was notified that the plot had already been sold, he still insisted on developing it. He said on March 18 this year Kodua led the three others to the plot and destroyed Mr Ansah's foundation footing and cement block fence wall valued at 930 million cedis.
Following a report, police issued the accused persons with criminal summons to appear before court, Chief Inspector Boison added.