Revealed! Faces Behind Smuggled Luxury Cars
Information gathered by DAILY GUIDE from highly-placed sources within the National Security indicates that a very powerful syndicate is behind the recently impounded luxury vehicles that were smuggled into the country.
The syndicate, which reportedly includes the owner – a powerful young businessman – is said to be so well connected that it has access to police motorcade and National Security escort.
The sources said that the smuggling always involved high-value items like luxury Mercedes Benz vehicles; 190 SL and 300 SL.
The Customs Division of the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) in Aflao about a month ago detained and later seized two Mercedes Benz vehicles, 190SL and 300SL, which were smuggled into the country.
The vehicles were smuggled through unapproved routes along the Ghana and Togo borders and parked in the official residence of the Ketu South Municipal Chief Executive (MCE) in the evening of Wednesday, January 10, 2018, in his absence.
The security officer and caretaker at post quickly alerted the MCE, Elliot Edem Agbenorwu – who does not live in the residence because it is under renovation.
The MCE, who at the time was even out of town, quickly informed the Customs Division of the GRA, Regional Security Coordinator, Bureau of National Investigations (BNI) and the police to move into the residence and see things for themselves.
When the customs officials got there at about 11:00 pm, the vehicles were there, with a gentleman claiming to be an operative of the National Security, about to convey them to Accra.
The supposed operative had also claimed that the vehicles were gifts to the president – a claim which was later found to be false.
The customs officers detained the two vehicles on condition that documents on them, including duties paid, ownership, taxes, insurance, among others, were produced.
Since the documents were not produced, the vehicles, which had then been towed to the customs office in Aflao, were later seized and conveyed to the Customs head office in Accra the following day, Thursday, January 11, 2018.
Inconsistent Turn of Events
Although the incident happened on January 10 and 11, the story became public about two weeks later – January 22 and 23 – at a time that the said vehicles were alleged to have been sent to the National Security head office in Accra, sources pointed out.
Witnesses present during the confiscation confirmed to DAILY GUIDE that two police motorcades and a V8 vehicle with communication features similar to that of a National Security vehicle, were under the control of the said gentleman who was met at the residence.
But for the timely intervention of the customs and other security agencies, the two vehicles, which had been loaded onto a towing van, would have been conveyed to Accra with the aid of police escort and the supposed National Security V8 vehicle.
Apart from the media reports, both the customs and the National Security outfits are yet to provide any official public update on the status of the vehicles – a situation which is heightening suspicion.
Another issue of concern is the deafening silence of the police administration over how two of its motorcades were released to escort the smuggled vehicles.
The said National Security operative seems to have vanished into thin air, with his whereabouts unknown.
Be that as it may, the sources told DAILY GUIDE that the alleged owner – the young businessman who they claim is into building luxury apartments and dealing in luxury vehicles, has initiated some moves to repossess the vehicles.
They claim his lawyers had also initiated talks with the high echelon of the GRA to pay up the necessary charges to get his multimillion antic vehicles back.
It is unclear if he would personally use them or sell to interested parties.