A gas explosion at Ofankor Barrier in Accra on Monday evening destroyed properties and brought back unpleasant memories of the fatal Atomic Junction gas explosion that hit last year.
It is not yet clear what may have caused the gas explosion and fire but eye-witness accounts say the driver of a car that was burning parked too close to a gas filling station that was offloading the inflammable Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG).
Another account of the cause suggests that leaking gas tanker at a spot called White House -- an area close to the John Teye Memorial School -- caught fire that spread quickly.
No lives were lost.
"People in the area fled to safety, I actually saw a fire tender headed for that direction when going home around 7 pm but I didn't know what was happening..." according to reports monitored on Peace FM.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) set up a committee made up of stakeholders to probe the tragedy but details of the report are yet to be published -- even though the report has been completed.