Anglo-Africa Business Trade Exhibition postponed
Accra, July 27, GNA - Organisers of the Anglo-African Business and Trade Exhibition scheduled to take place in London from July 28 to July 30 have postponed it to November following the recent bombings in the UK capital.
"It has become clear today that we have to postpone the exhibition if we are to achieve the desired results for exhibitors and participants," according to Mr Bernard Otabil of Africa Week magazine, co-organisers of the event, He said they were very confident last week that the bombings of July 7 were not going to affect the event in any way, but with the current developments, "it is not convenient especially with the sizeable number of companies and individuals that have expressed concern over travelling to London at this time."
Mr Otabil said many of the exhibitors from abroad had expressed serious concerns about their own safety in London. Between July 21 and July 22, about 25 per cent of international exhibitors, who had confirmed their participation, had decided not to attend.
"Furthermore, we have been receiving calls from other exhibitors expressing similar concerns. This is the most expensive option for us to take, but it is also obvious that given the exceptional circumstances in London today, it is the best option," Mr Otabil said. "It has, therefore, become necessary for the exhibition and the African Excellence Awards to be postponed to November, to start from the November 24 to November 26.
"This decision was reached in consultation with other stakeholders in the event. More than 1,000 exhibitors and 20,000 visitors were expected to attend the three-day event. We are confident that we will be able to have a successful event in November", Mr Otabil said. The conference, planned for Thursday July 28 would, however, go ahead.