ModernGhana logo
17.07.2005 Crime & Punishment

Two suspected armed robbers set ablaze

Listen to article

Bawku (UE), July 17, GNA - Two suspected armed robbers, believed to have shot dead a pregnant woman at Bawku on Friday, were lynched and their bodies set ablaze by an irate youth mob, hours after her burial on the same day.

A third victim, however, survived the irate youth's onslaught of exacting instant justice following the timely arrival of police-military teams on the scene.

He has been identified as Osman Issaka, 32 years and had been admitted at the Bawku Presby Hospital in critical condition from the burns he sustained, under police guard.

A five-room house and a three-stall building, believed to be the den of the alleged robbers and other properties were also destroyed by the youth.

So far, the police have made no arrests as at the time of filing this story.

Briefing the Ghana News Agency (GNA), Chief Superintendent David Sampana, the Bawku Municipal Police Commander, said 44-year-old Ramatu Tahiru, who was six months old pregnant was robbed and shot to death in the early hours of Friday by unknown assailants as she made frantic efforts to raise alarm.

He said during the funeral rites of the deceased, the atmosphere heightened and there were call to exact instant justice on the perceived perpetrators of the murder in spite of some elders' appeal to the youth to exercise restrain.

Chief Supt. Sampana explained that after the burial, the youth took to the streets in defiance of the appeals from the elders and attacked the suspects near the Central Market with deadly implements after which petrol was pour on them and set ablaze.

He said the police rushed to the scene to save the lives of innocent people and the destruction of properties by the youth.

Chief Supt. Sampana said efforts were being made to restore order in the township and expressed the hope that investigations would expose criminals in the Municipality.

The incident happened exactly a week after an Accountant of the Ghana Commercial Bank at Bawku, Mr Yussif Yahuza, was gunned down and as at now no arrest had been made nor the motive behind the killing exposed.

The situation in the area had driven must residents outdoors during the night.

However, most residents, who did not agree with the instant justice reaction, expressed the hope that the elimination of suspected hardened criminals would restore sanity in the Municipality. July18

Join our Newsletter