Information Minister, Dan Botwe, says government has no intention of misleading Ghanaians with rumours about a coup plot.
He was referring to public speculation following a police statement on Saturday about the arrests of six people for acts of subversion.
The statement from the CID came after a report in the Daily Guide newspaper on Thursday that said six coup plotters had been arrested.
Speaking on Joy FM, Mr Botwe denied that there had been any official comment about a coup plot.
“People have been arrested with arms, and the security agencies have done what is expected of them by putting out a statement. They are following up on the case in due process and should be allowed to do their job. It doesn't have to avert attention for anything. What is it that the government has to divert attention from?” he queried.
Mr. Botwe appealed to the media to exercise caution in order not to prejudice the trial.
Only three of the six people arrested in the joint CID/BNI operation appeared in court on Monday.
The information minister declined to explain except to reiterated that the security agencies be allowed to complete their investigations.