Tema, March 31, GNA - Mrs Gladys Asmah, Minister of Fisheries on Wednesday called on people placed in positions of trust to always tackle their work with urgency to save unforeseen circumstances. She noted that the delay in acting or taking decisions to solve problems rather create greater problems.
The Minister made the call when she inspected fishing companies and national installations that got burnt during last Friday's fire outbreak that claimed 15 lives at the PSC Tema Shipyard.
She made the remark after Ms Janet Etuduasi, Secretary at the Dolphins Shipping Lines told the Minister that they detected the leakage of Tema Oil Refinery pipe line one week before the fire incident. According to her the leakage was reported to the Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority, TOR, Firemen and other related agencies. Mrs Asmah described the fire incident as unfortunate and hoped it would serve as a lesson to others to be alive and responsible to duties assigned to them to forestall future occurrences.
She however, called on people, who have vital information to appear before the committee to investigate circumstances that led to the disaster.
The Minister sympathised with the affected companies and urged the Management to submit their needs to see how best they could be assisted to revive their companies.
She commended the recovery team made up of NADMO, GPHA, VALCO, Air Force and National Firemen in their efforts to prevent the fire from spreading to oil tanks nearby and the TOR.
She later visited the Fisheries Department, the defunct Boats Yards and the fish market, all at the Tema Fishing Harbour. At the Fishing Harbour the fishmongers complained about lack of security exits and ventilation in the market.
Mr Joseph K. Kudjordji, President of the Ghana Tuna Association said the incident has badly affected all the companies and prayed that they get support in cash and kind to get back to life. The fire burnt the Manna House, which housed five fishing companies including the Dolphin Shipping Services Limited, Signotrade Limited, Sekpo Enterprise and Gyinam Fisheries/Son and the Kiku Cold Store.
On Good Friday, the fire outbreak caused by sparks from a vessel under repairs, MV Polaris, owned by a Greek came into contact with oil spilled on the surface of the water from a leaking pipeline and devastated the area thus affecting other installations. They included TOR's pipeline and pumping house, VALCO pumping house as well as VRA house.
The incident drew many Ministers of State and top officials of related agencies to the PSC Shipyard.