Another "Wahala" demonstration for Thursday
Accra, March 15, GNA - The Committee for Joint Action (CJA), organisers of the "Wahala" campaign, have confirmed that the second protest march would be held on Thursday and assured the public that they have met all requirements of the Public Order Act for the demonstration. A statement signed on Tuesday by nine members of the CJA said the demonstration was to protest the government's policy of "over taxing petroleum products leading to crippling fuel prices".
The statement said the march is also to protest "the unbearable cost of living experienced by most Ghanaians".
"The Wahala campaign embarked upon by the Committee for Joint Action (CJA) has exposed as a lie, the government's assertion that until 18th February, 2005 it had been subsidising fuel prices and that the huge increases were necessary to correct an unsustainable drain on public resources," the statement said.
Those who signed were Madam Araba Bentsi- Enchill, Madam Emelia Arthur, Madam Ama Beniwa Doe, Mr Danny Ofori-Atta and Alhaji Ahmed Ramadan.
The rest were Mr. Edward Koki Omane Boamah, Mr Kyeretwie Opoku, Mr Bede Ziedeng and Mr Kwesi Pratt Jnr.
It said the "Wahala" campaign was a peaceful, lawful, non-partisan public interest campaign open to all Ghanaians who were interested in socio-economic justice, accountable government and sustainable national development.
Membership, it said, included trade unionists, student leaders, gender activists, traders, employers, and industrialists, Ghanaians of all faiths and beliefs and political parties.
"We have informed the Ghana Police Service of the date, routes and sponsors of this march and they have responded by sanctioning the demonstration to start from the Kwame Nkrumah Circle.
The Police have committed to honour their constitutional obligations and provide marchers with full security in the exercise of their rights.
The demonstration would begin at 0800 at the Kwame Nkrumah Circle and end at the Hearts of Oak Park with a mini rally.