Saltpond, March 9, GNA - The relatives of three men who were trapped to death by a concrete slab while demolishing the Saltpond Market for reconstruction in November 2002 have appealed to the Mfantseman District Assembly for compensation on behalf of the victims. The victims, Jonah Boafoa, 26, Kwesi Kisi 26 and Benjamin Gomado, 25, were among 12 others engaged by Mr Kobena Adusei, Managing Director of Kobena Adusei Enterprise an Accra based construction company.
Mr Antwi Boafo, spokesman for the relatives told the GNA that when the accident occurred the contractor provided a coffin and 500,000 cedis to each of the bereaved families towards their burial and funeral. Since then none of the bereaved families ever received anything in the form of compensation, Mr Boafo said and added: "How can we lose three young men without getting anything to cater for the wives and children they have left behind."
When GNA contacted the District Assembly, Mr Anthony Adjei-Kusi, the Presiding Member and Mr Robert Quainoo-Arthur the District Chief Executive both said the accident happened at a time they had not yet taken up their present positions and that there were no record at the administration about a decision to pay compensation. They advised the relatives to discuss the issue with the contractor, who engaged their services.
The GNA was unable to get in touch with the contractor, as his contact address was unavailable.