ModernGhana logo
26.02.2005 Football News

Dwarfs opens Middle League on a winning note

Listen to article

Accra, Feb 26, GNA - Cape Coast Mysterious Dwarfs opened their Middle League encounter on Saturday with a hard fought 2-1 win over King Solomon at the Ohene Djan Sports Stadium in Accra. Dwarfs who are making a bid to re-enter the Premiership after almost five years in the Division One League, opened up from the blast of the whistle and took over the midfield in a bid to get an early opener.

It therefore came as no surprise when their early hard work paid off in the 11th minute when Douglas Mustapha fired them into the lead. The goal brought more life into the game of Dwarfs who pushed forward for more goals to finish of their opponents who appeared out of sorts as the Cape Coast team called all the shorts.

In the 30th minute, a combination between Ekow Ghansah and Michael Inaidoo resulted in the latter's header just missing the posts narrowly. Dwarfs were not to be denied a goal when in the 40th minute their midfield general, Anthony Davis threaded through the defence of King Solomon with a splitting pass to Inaidoo to beat onrushing keeper Bashiru Abdul for the second goal.

With their tails up, Dwarfs opened the second half as they started the first by pinning King Solomon to their end of the field. Though they managed to create some decent openings, but they failed to convert the chances to kill off any idea of a late fight back by their opponents. By the hour mark, the game of Dwarfs fizzled out allowing their opponents to come into the picture. Substitute Awudu Bawa was the main architect of the King Solomon revival when he took over the midfield and pushed the team forward. In the 72nd minute, King Solomon nearly pulled a goal back but for the heroics of Dwarfs keeper, Musah Adamu who stretched to push Abu Menu's over-head kick to touch.

With time running out, another substitute for King Solomon, Emmanuel Donkor ghosted behind the Dwarfs defence to head his effort past the keeper for a consolation for his side in the 81st minute to set the game up for a frantic finish. King Solomon did all they could to draw level and in the 89th minute they nearly realised their dream when a goal bound effort was cleared off the line by keeper Adamu.