ModernGhanalogo

FEATURED: The Bushy Roads In The City Of Accra: Who Is Sleeping On The Job?...

body-container-line-1
22.02.2005 Regional News

Female Teacher lost personal effects in fire outbreak

By GNA

Nkawkaw, Feb. 22, GNA - A 56-year-old female teacher of the Kuma Anglican Primary school, Nkawkaw, had lost all her properties through a fire outbreak that engulfed her five bedroom apartment at Atta Ne Atta, a suburb of Nkawkaw, last Thursday. The teacher, Ms Gladys Amoabeng, who was not in the house at the time of the incident said, she returned from Abetifi that day only to realise that all her personal effects and that of her four children had been completely burnt.

She said items, worth millions of cedis, included a television set, a deck, a sound system, refrigerators, cooking utensils, two passports, mobile phones, 30-million cedis worth of medical books and equipment for her daughter and an amount of 2.5 million cedis were destroyed in the fire.

According to an eye witness, when he saw smoke gushing out from one of Ms Amoabeng's rooms upstairs, he called the attention of Ms Amoabeng's children and this prompted some of the children to jump from the top of the building to save their lives.

The witness said when the attention of the Ghana National Fire Service was called, they allegedly said their fire tender had been sent to Accra for repairs so they had to relay the information to the Konongo fire station, which took about one and half hours to arrive to put off the fire.

The cause of the fire was yet to be determined.

Ms Amoabeng and her family, who are now putting up with relatives, appealed to the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) and the Ghana Education Service (GES) for accommodation and financial assistance to enable her to replace some of their immediate needs.

body-container-line