Modern Ghana logo

FEATURED: [trailer] Anas To Drop Shocking Video On Children At Orphanage Eating ...

body-container-line
21.02.2005 General News

Govt not breaking media front -Botwe

By GNA
Govt not breaking media front -Botwe
Accra, Feb. 21, GNA - The Minister of Information, Mr. Dan Botwe on Monday spiked claims by the "Ghanaian Chronicle" that Government was moving to break the media front. A statement issued in Accra said the story was "false and without any basis whatsoever". It said the story failed to make any categorical link between the government and the alleged attempts to divide the media except to state that "...the sudden attack that had been launched against Mr. Raymond Archer, former acting editor of the Chronicle, by a section of the Ghanaian media was a clear manifestation that the government was fanning the breaking up of the media front..." "The above assertion to say the least is illogical, for how could an alleged 'attack' on Mr Archer by 'a section of the media' be construed to mean an attempt by the government to break up the media front?" The statement said: "For the avoidance of doubt, we wish to state emphatically that this government has no hand in the said attack, if it is true, and certainly has not backed any media organization(s) to do so."
The government said to impute the actions of any media organization as an attempt by the government "to break the media front" is unfortunate indeed and smacks of mischief aimed at incurring disaffection for the government among the people.


body-container-line