Hajj Board Denies Allegations
The Ghanaian Hajj Board has denied allegations that Ghanaian pilgrims are stranded at Jeddah Airport in Saudi Arabia.
In yesterday's press release signed by Alhaji Musah Ahmed, the board's vice-chairman, it described as false accusations that it had not been able to convey the luggage of pilgrims.
The release said there had been five flights from Jeddah to Accra so far, adding that two more flights were expected to convey the remaining pilgrims back home by this Friday.
It explained that each pilgrim was allowed to carry luggage not exceeding 60 kilos, adding that most pilgrims carrying goods weighing more than 200 kilos “did not want to pay for their excess baggage.”
As a result, the statement said, the board was currently saddled with four 40-feet containers of excess luggage and that the airline was charging an extra $300,000 to air freight the luggage. The board was, therefore, making separate arrangements to transport the goods by sea.