Accra, Jan. 26, GNA - The Ghana League Clubs Association (GHALCA) on Wednesday said it has not been officially informed about Top Four participant Asante Kotoko's alleged withdrawal from the competition after a single match.
Two Accra-based FM stations quoted Kotoko sources confirming the club's withdrawal from the lucrative competition after it walked-out of last Sunday's game with only three minutes of playing time remaining against debutant Kpando Heart of Lions at the Ohene Djan Sports Stadium. Irate Kotoko fans ripped off the re-fixed seats at the May 9 Stands and hurled them unto the tartan tracks in reaction to an 87th-minute penalty awarded Lions.
The two teams had scored a gaol each when the unfortunate incident occurred.
Incited by their Accra representative, Jerry Asare, the players left the pitch while organisers, GHALCA and main sponsors Coca Cola tried in vain to persuade the Kotoko players to rescind their decision. Asked whether plans were afoot for a possible replacement should Kotoko withdraw, Mr Kudjoe Fianoo, Administrative Manager of GHALCA told the GNA Sports that no such contingency measure had been put in place.
"If the unexpected happens then, the remaining three teams -Hearts, King Faisal and Lions - will have to play among themselves to determine the winner", he said.
Each club received a participation fee of 250 million cedis, and were to take 30 per cent each of gate the proceeds plus an additional 100 million cedis for the eventual winner.
Hearing began on Wednesday by the Disciplinary Committee of GHALCA to determine an appropriate suction to be meted out to the Kumasi club. Sources say the club could be banned from participating in any Top Four Competition plus a fine.
National Sports Council sources also told the GNA Sports that documents were being prepare to surcharged the club with the over 300 damaged seats valued at more than 10,000 US dollars.