Modern Ghana logo

FEATURED: Ghana Needs A College Of Common Sense To Function Well...

body-container-line
Regional News | Jan 25, 2005

Fire guts house at Asotwe

GNA

Asotwe (Ash), Jan. 25, GNA - Fire on Tuesday gutted a house at Asotwe near Ejisu, destroying property worth more than 100 million cedis.

The fire, which started at about 22:00 hours, destroyed property including refrigerators, television sets, video decks and about 100 pieces of wax prints.

Madam Akosua Gyinayeh, 60, the landlady, her family and the displaced occupants of the house are currently living with relatives. The Ejisu-Juaben District Assembly on Thursday consoled the victims and presented them with six pieces of blankets, four students mattresses and four plastic buckets.

Mr Yaw Ahenkora Afrifa, the District Chief Executive, who made the presentation on behalf of the Assembly, expressed satisfaction that at least none of the family members lost their lives and promised them more assistance from the Assembly.

Briefing the GNA after the presentation, Madam Gyinayeh said at about 2200 hours she came out to fetch water when she saw flames from the room of her son who resides in Accra.

She said she woke all the children up and managed to get them out of the room before the fire spread there.

Madam Gyinayeh said officials of the Ghana National Fire Service were called in to control the fire.

The cause of the fire was not immediately known.

body-container-line