ModernGhana logo
12.01.2005 Regional News

Woman dies in fire outbreak at Drobo

Listen to article

Sunyani, Jan 12, GNA - A 26-year-old woman was on Tuesday burnt to death in a fire outbreak in a three-bedroom house at Drobo in Jaman South District of Brong Ahafo.

The deceased, Margaret Ama Awuku, has since been buried after an autopsy.

Mr Kwadwo Manu Afful, Brong Ahafo Deputy Regional Director of Ghana National Fire Service, told the Ghana News Agency that the fire started at about 0400 hours in the deceased's room.

A co-tenant noticed the fire and raised an alarm. Other occupants of the house run out but the deceased, who was sick and could, therefore not come out, got burnt beyond recognition.

Mr. Edward Kwaku Ashong, Sunyani Municipal Fire Officer, advised the public to be cautious in handling naked fire, saying 22 cases of bush fire had been recorded in the municipality this year.

"This indicates that if care is not taken there will be more of such incidents this dry season", he said and appealed to farmers to avoid using fire to clear their plots of land for the cultivation.

Join our Newsletter