ModernGhana logo
07.01.2005 Crime & Punishment

Fisherman fined for assaulting his 80-year-old father

Listen to article

Cape Coast, Jan. 7, GNA- A 47-year-old fisherman, Kojo Ackon, who repeatedly slapped his 80-year-old father, resulting in the loss of one of his lower front teeth, was on Friday fined 1.5 million cedis, by a circuit court at Cape Coast.

Ackon, who pleaded guilty to causing harm, would in default, serve 12 months in jail. He was also ordered by the court to compensate his father, Opanyin Kofi Mensah with 300,000 cedis out of the fine.

Prosecuting, Inspector Hope Azasoo, told the court, presided over by Mr Mustapha Logoh that on Wednesday, January 5, at about 0700 hours, Opanyin Mensah, went to the house where Ackon lives with his mother and other siblings, to interact with one of his daughters.

He said when he got to the house, he saw Ackon quarrelling with his sister, and was attempting to prevent her from entering the house so he advised him to stop.

Inspector Azasoo said this infuriated Ackon and he pounced on his father, beat him amidst insults and in the process, Opanyin Mensah lost a lower front tooth and the matter was reported to the police. In another development, an 18- year old scrap-dealer, Sumaila Awudu who allegedly stole a chainsaw machine belonging to the Forestry office at Assin Fosu, was granted 20 million cedis bail by the same court to re-appear on January 28.

He pleaded guilty, but later told the court that he bought the machine from someone and the court therefore remanded him, to enable the police to further investigate the matter.

Chief Inspector Albert Gaisie, prosecuting told the court that on Thursday, January 6, the Forestry Officer at Assin Fosu detected that the machine was missing from his garage and while he was looking for it, someone told him that Awudu has been seen selling a machine similar to the one missing.

The officer then informed some soldiers around who feigned interest in the machine.

One of them offered to buy it and bargained for a price of 1.5 million cedis and paid a deposit of 500,000 cedis to Awudu. The prosecutor said Awudu was immediately arrested after receiving the money.

Join our Newsletter