ModernGhana logo
29.12.2004 General News

Mobilla’s Family Demand Full-Scale Investigation

By Daily Graphic
Listen to article

The family of the late Alhaji Issah Mobila, the Northern Regional Chairman of the Convention People's Party (CPP), has called for full-scale investigations into the death of their relation. The family made the call after it had accepted the pathologist's report on the late Alhaji Mobila.

Alhaji Mobila, whom many described as a philanthropist, was alleged to have died in military custody on December 9, 2004. A pathologist's report on his body indicated that he died as a result of suspected torture. According to the report, the deceased died as a result of the collapse of the left lung with haemothorax, fractured ribs and severe multiple abrasions on various part of the body.

The autopsy, which was performed by Dr Kofi Adomako Boateng of the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) in Kumasi, also indicated that the larynx, trachea, bronchial tubes and brain showed congestion.

Other internal parts, such as the heart, stomach, kidneys, intestines, pancreas and pituitary, were said to be normal. The deceased, who was in his early 50s, was also the Tamale-Bolgatanga Branch Chairman of the Ghana Private Road Transport Union (GPRTU).

According to the Northern Regional Crime Officer, Mr John Frederick Wilson, Alhaji Mobila was alleged to have carried arms in his BMW saloon car to cause confusion in the metropolis.

However, he said when the car was intercepted and searched, no weapon was found in it as speculated. The deceased, upon hearing that his car had been impounded, reported himself to the security agencies. He was detained at the police station and later handed over to the military who then took him to the Kamina Barracks on December 9, 2004.

The following day, the news broke that he had died in military custody. That sent shock and fear into the residents of the metropolis, as a result of which commercial and social activities came to a halt. Most people stayed indoors throughout the day, and by 9 p.m., the metropolis had become quiet because of the fear of reprisals.

The late Alhaji Mobila was buried in Tamale on Saturday, December 25, after the submission of the autopsy report. His burial attracted thousands of mourners from the political divide in the metropolis.

The mourners, who had earlier on December 18, 2004 gathered at the morgue of the Tamale Teaching Hospital to accompany the cortege, had to disperse when they were later informed by the family members that the burial could not come on because they had not yet received the pathologist's report.

Join our Newsletter