Govt concerned about security situation in Dagbon
Accra, Dec. 15, GNA - Government on Wednesday denied claims that it was unconcerned about the security situation in Dagbon, saying it was doing all it could to protect life and property in the area. At a press conference in Accra to address issues raised by the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) on events in Dagbon during and after the December 7 Elections, Nana Akomea, Minister of Information, condemned the attempt to present the situation as unprovoked one-sided attacks by New Patriotic Party (NPP) supporters against the NDC.
"This attempt has the danger of turning a worrying security situation in the area with real threats to life and property, into a partisan political point-scoring game," the Minister said. Nana Akomea said information so far received indicated that both parties were at the centre of the perpetration of violence and threats to life and property in Tamale and Dagbon as a whole.
He said instead of politicising the issue it was important for the Leadership of both parties to strive for thorough investigations into all election-related violence to forestall the occurrence of such incidents in the country's democratic development.
The Minister urged all to give the CID and the Army Board of Enquiry instituted to look into the death of Alhaji Mobila, Convention People's Party (CPP) Northern Region Chairman, the space for them to do their work with dispatch to unearth the truth in the unfortunate death. Nana Akomea described as unfortunate Dr Obed Asamoah's attempt to misrepresent Alhaji Mobila's death as an NPP vendetta.
"I will like to reiterate that election violence have occurred and they are a matter of regret and a blot on our democracy. They have not affected just one party, so responsible Leadership of both parties should strive for thorough investigations into all election-related violence so as to forestall such incidents in our democratic development," Nana Akomea said.