Ningo Secondary School appeals for SOS
Old Ningo, Oct. 19 GNA - The staff, Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) and students of the Ningo Secondary School in the Dangbe West District, have appealed to the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports and other stakeholders to help provide the necessary logistics to facilitate teaching and learning.
The over 400 students are congested in classrooms and dormitories, making it impossible for the authorities to cope with new admissions. Mr Christopher Sedefia, Headmaster of the School told an emergency meeting of the PTA at Old Ningo, that because of the precarious situation anxious parents who wanted admissions for their children in the 2004/2005 were turned away.
He said only 120 students were admitted this years as against the 200 students admitted last year.
Mr. Sedefia said the school lacked a means of transport, science laboratory accommodation for teachers, Teachers' Common Room, classroom blocks, library and potable water.
The current form one students are using an uncompleted three-stored block as temporary classroom. Mr. Sedefia said over eight million cedis was spent on water during the last academic term.
He Sedefia appealed to the District Assembly, benevolent individuals and organisations to come to the aid of the school.
The School has a 1.6 kilometre radius of land with only scanty structures befitting a secondary school, while the foundations for classrooms and administrative blocks have been abandoned for years. The members of the PTA had decided to contribute 100,000 cedis per parent as a remedial measure.
The Chairman of the Board of Governors of the school, Mr Ebenezer Narh appealed to the parents to sacrifice time and resources to reverse the problems of the school.
"It is not enough to send your wards to school and not contribute to ensuring that their academic performance improves... if they fail their exams... you would be forced to pay more for extra classes and remedial classes."