07.10.2004 Crime & Punishment

Accounts clerk arrested for setting school on fire

Listen to article

Tema, Oct. 7, GNA- Police have arrested Felix Nsiah Boakye, a 21-year-old accounts clerk of the Church of Pentecost's Preparatory School at Tema for allegedly setting the school on fire. Boakye, alleged to have embezzled two million cedis belonging to the school, wanted to cover-up of his misdeed.

Mr Daniel Laryea Odai, Deputy Regional Police Commander in-charge of Tema disclosed this to newsmen on Thursday.

Mr Odai told newsmen that in the early hours of Thursday, police had information that Boakye scaled over the wall and entered the school's premises.

The Deputy Regional Commander said the watchman on duty, Mr Stephen Mensah confronted Boakye as to why his presence at the premises at that odd time.

Mr Odai said Boakye's responded that he had come to update his records and so the watchman left.

The Deputy Regional Commander said moments later, the watchman heard an explosion within the offices, and therefore rushed to the scene, only to see the whole place in flames.

He said the watchman raised an alarm but before people could arrive at the scene, Boakye had absconded.

He said the watchman managed to give the information to the Fire Service through a cells phone.

The Deputy Regional Commander said even though fire personnel responded swiftly and managed to bring the fire under control.

He said police later arrived at the scene and based on the information, arrested Boakye at Sakumono village where he was apprehended.

Mr Odai said upon interrogation, admitted having committed the offence, adding that he allegedly bought half gallon of petrol, sprinkled it over all the documents and furniture at his office and set them on fire and ran away from the scene.

The Deputy Regional Commander said Boakye's explanation for the act was that he wanted to cover up the amount he had squandered.

He said Boakye told the police that he was warned that external auditors would soon be auditing his books.

Mr Odai said the police was still investigating the matter and as soon as investigations were over, he would be put before court.

ModernGhana Links