ModernGhana logo
02.10.2004 Sports News

Resilient Hasaacas shock Liberty

Listen to article

Accra, Oct 2, GNA - A resilient Sekondi Hasaacas side played a spirited second half game to post a 2-1 shocking victory over Dansoman-based Liberty Professionals when they crossed swords at the Nation's Wembley, Accra Sports Stadium in a week seven Premiership encounter. The visitors who scored a goal in each halves had to endure copious threat from Liberty's attack to record their first away victory which was made possible with two important strikes from John Aidoo and Anthony Annan respectively.

The outcome of the game perhaps was one of those that obviously ought to give Liberty's coach, Sillas Tetteh enough reason to worry about the potency of his attackers who failed to transfer their dominance into goals with erratic shooting throughout the game. In a typical Ghanaian fashion, the "Scientific Soccer Lads" concentrated on playing all the "fine" football that lacked purpose and precision, but had the power to draw applause from the ordinary soccer fan who believes in flair and skills. It was Liberty who took off on a flying start with Obeng Darko tearing the Hasaacas defence that leaked terribly in the opening minutes but somehow shot wayward.

The reaction of the visitors was admirable as they succeeded in catching their opponents rear built around skipper Mustapha Essuman off guard, but Black Satellites goalkeeper Patrick Antwi was alert to deny Ainoo what would have been a brilliant goal on the seventh minute mark. Both teams enjoyed a fair exchange as the pendulum of action tilted from one end to the other.

Significantly, both teams scored their respective first goals through a penalty as a result of a ball to hand situations. Ainoo grabbed the opener in the 25th minute when one of the Liberty's four-man human wall used his hand to halt a free kick that they conceded in front of the 18-yard box while Liberty's Bawa Mumuni profited on a careless timing from substitute Ricky Essuman to pull even seven minutes later.

Both teams played an improved and entertaining game from recess with Liberty slightly favoured against their opponents who lacked the composure to pose any major threat upfront. However, it was Ho-based referee Benedicta Wormade who took the centre of confusion when she surprisingly dished a red card each to Liberty's Felix Baffoe and the visitors' Richard Ladzekpo in the third half for heckling each other. The referee who had her FIFA status withdrawn last year for none performance goofed with that decision for expelling the duo in her rather too late quest to stamp her authority on the game after a poor showing all afternoon.

However, it was Annan who defied the disturbing signals and shot the "Giants of the West" ahead for the match winner on the 54th mark with a glancing header which left keeper Antwi helpless. Unmarked Annan cleverly met a cross from the left flank with a diving header to secure the second goal for the day.

Join our Newsletter