Why a Good Leader is Able to Build
The Art of Leadership
What a difference it would make if every leader was a builder! Why is a leader able to build?
- Good leaders build because they make building an early priority. A good leader discerns the season for building. Very few people in this world ever build houses for themselves. One of the reasons they do not build houses is because they constantly wait for the right season of their lives to build. But the best time to build a house is now. There has never been, and there will never be enough money. Now is the best time to build and good leaders always build now!
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, AND A TIME TO BUILD UP;
- Good leaders build because they do not follow fantasies.
He that tilleth his land shall have plenty of bread: but HE THAT FOLLOWETH AFTER VAIN PERSONS shall have poverty enough.
Good leaders do not follow imaginary high-sounding ideas.
There are people who are full of schemes, projections and plans. They can speak for hours on end about their proposals and what they think will work. Such people do not usually accomplish much for themselves. Such people never build anything.
You simply need to roll up your sleeves and get to the job! People who plan for years to travel and study abroad instead of going to the school that is nearby often do not amount to much.
- Good leaders build because they do not follow pleasures.
He that loveth pleasure shall be a poor man: he that loveth wine and oil shall not be rich. Proverbs 21:17
Lovers of pleasure cannot build houses. Pleasure is expensive and a lot of money is needed to have a 'good time'. Houses are equally expensive and require the heaviest investment of your money. People who love the pleasure of wining and dining, wearing expensive clothes, driving expensive cars will simply not have the money to build a house. The cost of these luxuries amounts to the cost of a house. In fact, there are many cars that are more expensive than a house. Often, you have to choose between enjoying yourself and owning a house. Good leaders choose to build houses rather than spending their money on fleeting luxuries.
- Good leaders build because they are frugal.
Frugality is the key to building a house. A good leader will build because he is frugal. Frugal people are constantly saving money. They do not want to waste anything no matter how much they have. It is interesting to note that poor nations waste their water resources by allowing most of the water they generate to go waste. Poor leaders waste money by allowing lights and electric gadgets to be left on when they are not needed. Poor leaders waste their human resources by driving away the most skilled and wealthy people. Turn around your situation by being frugal!
- Good leaders build because they pray for wisdom. It is difficult to believe that money is not the key ingredient for building a house. Building is impossible for most people. That is why you need the wisdom that makes you overcome impossible things. My father-in-law said, when he was eighty years old, that: 'A house is built by wisdom and not by money.' He built many houses in his lifetime so he knew a thing or two about building houses. But Solomon had said it already. He said: Through WISDOM IS AN HOUSE BUILDED; and by understanding it is established: And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches. Proverbs 24:3-4
- Good leaders build because they know it is the best investment for their money.
When people have a little money they often do not know what to do with it. They often put it in the wrong place. Most people do the wrong things with the money that they have. Most of us do not understand what the word 'real estate' really means. There are many unreal estates. These unreal estates can collapse overnight and turn a wealthy man into a pauper. The good and real estate on this earth is property! Invest in real estate if you are a leader!
- Good leaders build because they put what God has provided for them to good use.
God has provided for everyone. He has provided something for you, and with that you will be able to accomplish something for yourself.
Instead of continuously fretting and concerning yourself with what you do not have, look around and see what God has given you. He may not have given you what He has given others. But He has given you something. And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
Indeed, it is our hope that all leaders become builders! May the ability to build rest on every leader!
By Dag Heward-Mills
Disclaimer: "The views/contents expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect those of Modern Ghana. Modern Ghana will not be responsible or liable for any inaccurate or incorrect statements contained in this article."