ModernGhana logo
23.09.2004 General News

Galamsey operator buried alive

Listen to article

Prestea (W/R), Sept. 23, GNA - Barely a week ago when four "galamsey" operators were electrocuted, another one was also buried in a tunnel at Prestea last Monday.

The tunnel caved in and Felix Sule, 26, was trapped underground when coming to surface after mining adventure at Prestea.

A search for his body lasted for three days owing to interruption by rainfall and massive soil, which collapsed on him. Sule's body was finally exhumed on Wednesday with the help of Bogoso Gold Limited (BGL) excavator.

Speaking to the Ghana News Agency (GNA) at Prestea, Superintendent Kwadwo Oppong, Prestea District Police Commander said on Monday September 20, 2004 a caterpillar was moving from Prestea to Bondaye to work on some roads.

On reaching an area closed to Bondaye shaft, he said, the road caved in because of a galamsey tunnel (GHETTO) just underneath the road. Supt. Oppong said at that time Sule had not come up to the surface from the underground and was therefore trapped.

Mr. Felix Dogmaare, who claimed to be the uncle of Sule said some galamsey operators came out of the tunnel but Sule did not. Mr. Dogmaare said they were able to retrieve the body with the help of galamsey operators and an excavator provided by BGL.

In a related development some houses collapsed at Bola Ekyir, suburb of Prestea after a heavy down pour three days ago. Items running into billions of cedis were destroyed and the victims of the flood are now putting up with friends and relations.

Mr. Emmanuel Kwasi Ayensu, Wassa West District Chief Executive visited the disaster sites and appealed to the people not to build on water courses and also ensure that the gutters are desilted for free flow of run-off water.

He also expressed his condolence to the bereaved family. On September 15, 2004, four galamsey operators, including a female were electrocuted and 11 others seriously injured at Prestea.

Join our Newsletter