WorldRemit hires leading Mobile Money specialist
London, April 29, 2015: Online money transfer service WorldRemithas appointed Alix Murphy as Senior Mobile Analyst. A leading Mobile Money specialist, Alix will help build and support commercial relationships with telecoms operators all over the world, as well as maximise Mobile Money opportunities for the company.
Prior to WorldRemit, Alix was Market Intelligence analyst for the GSMA, where she analysed trends in Mobile Money and digital identity, and consulted mobile operators on revenue opportunities. Alix co-authored the State of the Industry Report 2014: Mobile Financial Services for the Unbanked.
Alix has built up on-the-ground expertise of the telecoms sector in regions as diverse as sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America, North America, East Asia and South East Asia. In her early career, Alix spent several years in international development, including at the Grameen Foundation and Aga Khan Foundation.
Ismail Ahmed, Founder and CEO of WorldRemit said: “This hire shows our commitment to offering remittances to more Mobile Money services than any other provider. Mobile Money is already shaking up the industry, enabling quicker, more convenient and lower cost money transfers.”
Alix Murphy commented: “I have seen first-hand how Mobile Money can improve lives, businesses and whole economies, especially in the developing world. For billions of people around the world, mobile will be their first and only means of accessing financial services. I’m excited to join WorldRemit and to help accelerate the growth of remittances to Mobile Money.”
Note to editors
- Headshot of Alix Murphy is here
- According to the GSMA, there are 261 Mobile Money services live across 89 countries with 103 million active users as of April 2015.
- The GSMA State of the Industry Report 2014: Mobile Financial Services for the Unbanked states the median cost of sending $100 via Mobile Money is $4.0, less than half the average cost to send money globally via traditional money transfer channels.
- One in five international remittance transfers to Mobile Money accounts in December 2014 went via WorldRemit.
- WorldRemit currently enables 250,000 transfers per month. Mobile Money is WorldRemit’s fastest growing receive method.
WorldRemit is an online service that lets people send money to friends and family in other countries. Customers can use WorldRemit anywhere, anytime on their smartphone, tablet or computer.
For those receiving money, WorldRemit offers a range of options including bank deposit, cash collection, Mobile Money, and mobile airtime top-up. With low fees and guaranteed exchange rates, WorldRemit is bringing fair, transparent pricing to the money transfer industry.
The service is available in 50 countries and sends to more than 110 receive countries.
WorldRemit received a $40m Series A funding round in 2014 from Accel Partners and a $100m Series B funding round led by Technology Crossover Ventures in 2015.
WorldRemit’s global headquarters are in London, UK with regional offices in USA, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.