11.08.2004 Football News

Hearts pip AshantiGold

Listen to article

Accra, Aug 11, GNA - Accra Hearts of Oak on Wednesday pipped Obuasi AshantiGold 1-0 in an outstanding Ghana League Clubs Association Novelty knockout tie at the Accra Sports Stadium.

He game saw the Phobians dominating play but also exposed their luck of composure upfront as their game characterized comedy of errors during the duration of the match.

Hearts started on a blazing note creating as many as five chances within the first ten minutes but the opportunities were either saved by goalkeeper Frank Andoh or squandered by Lawrence Adjei.

AshantiGold who played below expectation had to do over time, particularly in defence where experienced skipper Kofi Amoako did well by organizing the rear to soak the initial scare.

Though both teams had it tough to settle, it was the Confederations Cup campaigners who drew the first blood that became the eventual winner through Prince Tagoe on the 25th mark.

Tagoe exhibited extreme composure upfront when he took his time before displacing Andoh in post having profited from an aerial scramble in the visitor's vital area.

Five minutes later Louis Agyemang was presented with the brightest opportunity to increase the tally when he received a through pass from the middle and raced ahead of his markers only to shot against keeper Andoh to the dismay of the fans.

As danger seemed to loom at AshantiGold, they lifted up their game and managed to contain the Phobians who played under the directives of newly signed on coach, Sir Cecil Jones Attuquayefio to end the first half.

The Hearts supporters might have been saddened by the level of officiating from referee John Attikese and his crew, but it was the manner in which Adjei and Agyemang missed chances that created displeasure with regards to the scoring ability of the home team. With Hearts playing like possessed and creating countless chances with every move, many expected the Agyemang-led attack to connect not less that two goals to lessen the pressure in their return game in Obuasi on Sunday.

Referee Attikese who exhibited inconsistency in his officiating for once took a decent decision when he expelled Lawrence Adjah Tetteh for rough play in the third quarter of the game.

Both teams worked hard to change the outcome of the game, which remain elusive.

ModernGhana Links

Join our Newsletter