Recently ETV Ghana released the fifth edition of its annual ranking of 100 Most Influential Ghanaians. Surprisingly the first woman on the list, Gifty Anti made it to the 22nd position, and the whole list could only afford 13 women out of over 13 million we have in Ghana. We could also say it is an improvement of last year's list when Theresa Oppong took the lead position of 37th among only 12 women. Even though the list speaks for these women for the remarkable works they are doing in their diligence it still does not encourage the various gender advocacy that we have been doing.
But one side that I would like us to turn attention to is the Parliamnet of Ghana. Even though it also lacks enough women it still feels we've got none in there.
From radio and TV discussions, widespread parliamentary debates, public discourse etc, I still do not feel the presence of the 29 women Ghanaians have voted to become lawmakers and advocates.
So in order to boost the courage and motivate the ones who are really working, I decided to list the 10 women in parliament that have really made an influence during their tenure so far and are betting their men counterparts for their coin.
1. Hon. Hannah Tetteh Awutu Senya Constituency 2. Hon. Ursula Owusu Ablekuma West Constituency 3. Hon. Sarah Adwoa Sarfo Dome Kwabenya Constituency
4. Hon. Helen Adwoa Ntoso Krachi West Constituency
5. Hon. Shirley Ayorkoe Botchway Anyaa Sowuotoum Constituency
6. Hon. Hannah Bissiw Tano South Constituency 7. Hon. Klenam Gifty Lower East Akim Constituency
8. Hon. Benita Sena Okiti Dua Ledzokuku Constituency
9. Hon. Naa Torshie Irene Addo Tema West Constituency
10. Hon. Juliana Azumah-Mensah AgotimeZiope Constituency
This is also to commemorate the International Women's Day and encourage other young women leaders to keep up the marvellous works they have been involved in by Be A Girl, a girls empowerment project that awards young girls in pre-tertiary institutions for academic and extra-curricular activities excellence.
Kindly find below the list of the 13 women who made it into the list of 100 most Influential Ghanaians by ETV Ghana and their respective positions;
1. Gifty Anti 22 2. Yvonne Nelson 29 3. Shirley FrimponngManso 30 4. Nana Konadu Rawlings 41 5. Georgina Woode 51 6. Joyce Aryee 63 7. Prof Jane Opoku 67 8. Lordina Mahama 71 9. Joyce Ababio 74 10. Mabel Banesseh 75 11. Comfort Ocran 90 12. Joycelyn Dumas 93 13. Hannah Tetteh 96
Disclaimer: "The views/contents expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the author(s) and do not neccessarily reflect those of Modern Ghana. Modern Ghana will not be responsible or liable for any inaccurate or incorrect statements contained in this article."
Reproduction is authorised provided the author's permission is granted.