Accra, July 21, GNA- Ghana's Foreign Ministry on Wednesday denied reports that Ghanaians were among the 37 foreigners picked up by a German ship to Rome awaiting the decision of the Italian authorities over the quest for refugee status.
Reports by the international media claimed the 37 were Ghanaians, Nigerians, Nigeriens and Malians contradicting earlier reports that the passengers were Sudanese fleeing the crisis in Darfur.
In an interview with the Ghana News Agency (GNA) in Accra, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufu-Addo, Minister of Foreign Affairs, said Ghana's Embassy in Rome is yet to confirm or deny the claim.
"So far, I can confirm that no one has been identified as a Ghanaian. We should be able to get the details by the close of the week," he explained, adding, "it is most unfortunate that people could go to such lengths in search of greener pastures."
The Foreign Minister told the GNA, that the Government was committed to creating a conducive environment that would entice the youth to stay at home.
The humanitarian crisis in Darfur has displaced about a million black Africans fleeing attacks by Arab Militias - Janjaweed, prompting worldwide condemnation.