Abesim (B/A), July 12, GNA - Two students were burnt to death when fire engulfed a kiosk in which they were sleeping at Abesim, near Sunyani in the early hours of Sunday.
The charred bodies of the deceased were identified as Master Kwabena Otis, 14, a form two student of Olistar Preparatory Secondary/Technical School and Miss Gladys Akua, 15, of Presbyterian Junior Secondary School, both at Abesim.
The bodies have been deposited at the Sunyani Regional Hospital for autopsy.
Narrating the sad incident to the Ghana News Agency at Abesim, Mr. Kumah Awuah, a retired educationist and guardian of the victims said he suspected that the fire was caused by an electrical fault, as there was a deep freezer and other electrical gadgets in the kiosk. Mr. Awuah said a neighbour who heard the children calling for help quickly rang the office of the Ghana National Fire Service in Sunyani, but before their arrival the fire had engulfed the kiosk.
"This situation made it difficult for the fire personnel to put off the blazing fire, thus forcing the two children to remain in the kiosk to meet their pathetic death", he said.