ModernGhana logo
12.07.2004 General News

Mob Exhumes Body

By Graphic
Listen to article

A mob last Thursday forcibly exhumed the body of the late Doris Osei, the final-year student of the St Louis Training College who was allegedly murdered by a herbalist at Nkukua Bouho recently, moments after it had been buried at the Tarkwa Maakro Cemetery.

The mob, mainly made up of sympathisers from the Suame Magazine, who dug out the corpse and brought it back to her family house, claimed the family members did not allow them to pay their last respects to the murdered girl.

They were said to have hurriedly gone to the cemetery, dug the corpse and brought it back to the house and opened the casket to pay their last respects.

That was because, according to them, the family members had buried the corpse as early as 6 a.m., denying them an opportunity to pay their last respects.

A family source told the Graphic that the mob, most of who were very close friends of the deceased and were mechanics at the Suame Magazine went to the family house in the morning only to be told that the corpse had already been buried.

The source explained that the family decided to bury the corpse early because the crowd that was trooping to the house to catch a glimpse of it was too huge.

The source said some of the sympathisers who arrived at the family house later and were told the corpse had already been buried did not understand and they threatened to dig out the corpse.

It said the family members thought the threat was a fluke, but they were shocked when they realised that the mob had really carried out their threat and had brought the corpse back to the house.

The mob were said to have opened the casket and filed around it to pay their last respects, before taking it back to the cemetery for re-burial.

The late Doris Osei, alias Maame Broni, was a final-year student of the St Louis Training College in Kumasi.

She was allegedly murdered by a herbalist, Kwabena Kyeremeh, alias Mallam, at Nkukua Bouho, near Kodie in the Offinso District, on Republic Day, July 1, 2004, when she visited his shrine for assistance to cure an ailment.

An Offinso Circuit Court has since remanded the herbalist in prison custody to enable the police to conduct further investigations into the case.

He is on a provisional charge of murder and he is to re-appear in court on July 19, 2004.

Join our Newsletter