The Golden Baobab Prizes Announce 2014 Judges
Accra, October 30, 2014 - Golden Baobab is delighted to announce the judges for the 2014 Gol-den Baobab Prizes. Established to inspire the writing and publishing of African stories that cap-tivate the minds of children, the prizes award $20,000 to talented African writers and illustrators. It also offers publishing and training opportunities to its honorees.
The 2014 judges are:
• Summer Edward, Anansesem Caribbean Children's Literature Ezine founder and editor, Children's publishing consultant
• Nancy Drost, Seasoned international educator, Golden Baobab board member
• Kinna Likimani, Mbaasem Foundation board member, Celebrated book critic (kinna-reads.com)
• Doreen Baingana, Multiple award-winning Ugandan author, Former chairperson FE-MRITE
• Nonikiwe Mashologu, African children's literature critic, South African literacy activist
• Kananengo Diallo, 13-year old Tanzanian winner of the 2013 Golden Baobab Prize for Rising Writers
• Paul O. Zelinsky, International Award-winning American Illustrator and Writer, Caldecott Medalist
• Akua Peprah, Early ChildhoodEducator
• Kofi Kokua Asante Anyimadu, 8-year old Ghanaian book lover
“We are excited about working with our 2014 judges to discover and celebrate some of the best children's story writers and illustrators in Africa today.” says the Executive Director of Golden Baobab. “In this 6th year of the prizes, we are proud of the contribution we are making to the children's literature world and are actively searching for exciting partnerships to expand our reach and impact across Africa. We are seeking major corporate partnerships by our next prize season to further propel our vision of making the heads of children across Africa beautiful places for them to live!”
The winners of the Golden Baobab Prizes will be who will be announced on November 13, 2014. The shortlist will be announced on October 31, 2014.
ABOUT THE GOLDEN BAOBAB PRIZES
The Golden Baobab Prizes for literature was established in July 2008 and inspires the creation of African stories by gifted African writers and illustrators to captivate children's minds. The Prizes invite entries of unpublished stories and illustrations created by African citizens irrespective of age, race, or country of origin. The Prizes are organized by Golden Baobab, a Ghana-based pan-African social enterprise dedicated to creating a world filled with wonder and possibilities for children, one African story at a time.
The organization's Advisory Board includes renowned au-thors Ama Ata Aidoo and Maya Ajmera. Golden Baobab is proudly supported by Echoing Green and The African Library Project.
For further information, photos or to arrange interviews, please contact: Eunice Ahenkorah via [email protected]
POSTER 2014 GOLDEN BAOBAB JUDGES