29.06.2004 Tabloid News

Pastor on the run for duping a member of his church

Listen to article

Wenchi (B/A), June 29, GNA - The Wenchi police are looking for Pastor Joe Louis, claimed to be the head pastor of the Apostolic Revival Church for allegedly duping a member of the church, Ms. Lydia Boatemaa of the Drobo branch of 1.4 million cedis in December, last year. Pastor Louis is also alleged to have severely assaulted Ms.

Boatemaa at Wenchi where she had traced him to demand for her money, thus forcing her to terminate a pregnancy she was carrying. Narrating her ordeal to the press at Wenchi on Friday, Ms. Boatemaa, who is a member of the church at Drobo, said she was nine-months-old during the incident.

She said through God's intervention she was able to get 1.4 million cedis and contacted pastor Louis to pray over the money to help sustain her trading activities.

Ms. Boatemaa said pastor Louis collected the money and informed her that he was to seek the assistance of other pastors who had organized a special crusade at Drobo to pray over the money. After the crusade Ms. Boatemaa said she approached pastor Louis for the money but the pastor told her that, part of the money had gone into the church coffers in the course of the crusade.

Ms. Boatemaa alleged that the pastor later vanished from Drobo and because of frustration and dejection she stopped attending the church. She said after six months of fruitless search for the pastor, she decided to chase him to Wenchi on June 15, this year.

The woman met the pastor in his house at Wenchi, and out of anger she demanded for her 1.4 million cedis from him.

She said apparently feeling ashamed because of the presence of other tenants in the house, pastor Louis managed to convince her to follow him to a nearby place where he claimed to be offering prayers. When they got to a sloppy valley, pastor Louis held her neck and cheek and warned her that if she intended to humiliate him and bring shame on him, he was also poised to killing her into the bush, she claimed.

Ms. Boatemaa said still in the bush she shouted for help and luckily some people rushed to the place and rescued her. She later reported the case to the Wenchi police who went to the house of the pastor for his arrest but he was nowhere to be found. Ms. Boatemaa was issued with a medical form to go to Wenchi Government hospital.

The police asked her to return to Drobo and come back with her parents. When she returned to Wenchi surprisingly the police told her that the pastor had left a word that he was leaving for Kumasi and had since not returned to Wenchi.

ModernGhana Links

Join our Newsletter