ModernGhana logo
25.06.2004 Regional News

Woman appeal against husband's conviction

Listen to article

Accra, June 25, GNA - A 27-year-old housewife, who collapsed soon after a Circuit Court, in Accra, had jailed her husband for pressing a heated iron on her chest, has filed an appeal at an Accra High Court.

Hanson Adu, a 30-year-old businessman was sentenced last Monday to five years imprisonment in hard labour by the Court, after pleading guilty to intentionally causing harm to his wife, Akosua Sarfoah. Miss Sarfoah and relatives of Adu contended that the five years sentence was harsh in view of the nature of the case.

Mr J.K Yeboah, Counsel for Sarfoah told the Ghana News Agency that he filed the appeal a day after the conviction and waiting for a date to be fixed by the High Court for hearing. On Monday, June 21, this year, Sarfoah, collapsed soon after a Circuit Court in Accra jailed her husband but regained consciousness after onlookers poured water on her. The couple created a scene when the Court pronounced Adu's conviction.

While, Adu was yelling out "Oh Akosua, Oh Akosua", Sarfoah was also shouting out" Jesus, Jesus, Jesus." Police Chief Inspector Emmanuel T. Boison told the court that Sarfoah and Adu are married with two children. Prosecution said for some time now, Adu had been suspecting Sarfoah of flirting but she had denied.

On June 14, this year, Prosecution said Adu found out that Safoah was keeping three million cedis at home. Adu became suspicious and at about 1130 hours, the same day, he asked Sarfoah to give him a loan of 500,000. Sarfoah told Adu that she did not have any money on her and that the money he saw was for a customer who supplied her with handkerchiefs. Prosecution said Adu was not satisfied with the answer and threatened to kill her.

Sarfoah, the prosecution said, pleaded with Adu to spare her life. Chief Inspector Boison said Adu entered his bedroom and return only to press the heated iron on Sarfoah's chest. Sarfoah, who sustained severe wounds, reported the matter to the police. Adu later surrendered himself to the Police at Odorkor and admitted the offence.

Join our Newsletter