ModernGhana logo
17.06.2004 General News

UCC murder suspect remanded in custody

Listen to article

Cape Coast, June 17 GNA - The Cape Coast Magistrate court, presided over by Mr Peter Asare-Duah on Thursday adjourned for the fourth time the case in which Michael Opare-Bekoe, a 20 year old first year student of the University of Cape Coast (UCC) allegedly murdered his ex-girl friend, Miss Annetta Adjei-Boafo, also a first year student of the University.

Opare-Bekoe whose plea was not taken would re-appear on July 27. The adjournment, which was at the instance of prosecution, was to enable the Attorney General's office to complete its investigations. The case of the prosecution is, Opare-Bekoe is alleged to have stabbed his ex-girl friend Miss Adjei-Boafo to death in her FF214 Annex room in the New Hall on April 27 2004.

According to the prosecution, the two were in a relationship when they were at Mfantsiman Girls' Secondary and Adisadel College respectively.

The relationship continued after they were both admitted to the University in September 2003 until last February when Anetta got into another relationship on campus.

The prosecution said on April 27 2004, the accused visited Anetta in her room during which she cooked for him and during the visit Opare-Bekoe brought up the issue of Anetta's new relationship, which resulted in a quarrel..

He said it was during the quarrel that Opare-Bekoe stabbed Anetta to death ,locked the door and bolted to a hotel in Cape Coast and tried to hang himself but he could not.

He said the accused therefore, travelled to his home town, Mampong-Akuapem where he took an over-dose of sleeping tablets, and was found unconscious by his parents the next day and was rushed to the Tetteh Quarshie Government Hospital.

The prosecution said on the same day a report was made to the Cape Coast police about the murder of Anetta and later about Opare-Bekoe's admission to the hospital.

He said Opare-Bekoe was therefore, put under police surveillance at the hospital until he was discharged and handed over to the Cape Coast police and upon interrogation he admitted that he stabbed Anetta. His counsel, Mr Victor Yankson, pleaded with the court to urge the Attorney- General's office to speed up work to enable proceedings to take off.

Mr Yankson said for obvious reasons he was not going to ask for a bail for his client but if after ten days a charge is not preferred against his client he will ask the court to set his client free.

Join our Newsletter