ModernGhanalogo

FEATURED: The Bushy Roads In The City Of Accra: Who Is Sleeping On The Job?...

body-container-line-1
14.06.2004 Regional News

Adansi West benefits from 5.4 billion-cedi Urban V project

By GNA

Obuasi, June 14, GNA- The Adansi West District Assembly has submitted a list of projects valued at 83 billion cedis for funding under the phase two of the Urban Five Project being implemented in the district.

The projects to be covered included the construction of roads and drains, market and lorry parks, health facilities, water and electricity supply and schools.

Others are the provision of economic and social facilities, telecommunication, waste management and preparation of planning schemes. Mr Joseph Kwadwo Boampong, the District Chief Executive, who announced these at the assembly's meeting at Obuasi, said already the district had benefited from the project.

These included the completion of 24-seater water closet toilet with security lights and gates at Obuase-Aboagyekrom costing 514.8 million cedis and a slaughter house at Kwabenakwakrom also costing 843.7 million cedis.

Mr Boampong said the 2.2-kilometre Obuasi town roads rehabilitation, which is estimated at over four billion cedis is also on-going.

He said due to some constraints including the construction of additional drains, the delay in the relocation of water lines and the shortage of chippings nationwide, the contractor, Nkwantabisa Engineers Limited has been given up to August 31, 2004 to complete the project. The DCE said under the third phase of the fifth micro-project, the district is benefiting from 12 projects including vault toilets, teachers' quarters, junior secondary school block and market stalls. Mr Boampong said the European Union (EU) is contributing 935,407 million cedis, representing 75 percent of the total cost whilst the district assembly and the beneficiary communities are providing 301.802 million cedis, representing the remaining 25 percent.

He said the implementation of the projects had started following the putting in place of the necessary implementation structures as well as the sensitisation of the beneficiary communities.

Mr Boampong said communal labour aspect of the micro project programme is very crucial and therefore, urged the communities to provide the needed support to ensure the success of the programme.

body-container-line