ModernGhana logo
27.05.2004 Tabloid News

Court remands four for murder

Listen to article

Kumasi, May 27, GNA - Four people who allegedly murdered one Kwame Marfo, a drinking bar operator at Atonsu, a suburb of Kumasi on February 25, this year, at Nyinahin in the Atwima district of Ashanti, were on Wednesday remanded in prison custody by a Kumasi circuit court. The four whose pleas were not taken have been provisionally charged with conspiracy to commit murder and murder and will re-appear on June 23.

They are Nana Osei Agyemang alias Nana Kennedy, chief of Kyereyase near Nyinahin, Nana Mintah Marfo, krontihene of Sankore and a building contractor, Yaw Donkor, a drinking bar operator and Yaw Tawiah, a farmer.

Nana Yaw, the fifth accused is on the run. Prosecuting, Police Chief Inspector Agnes Dinkyini told the court that in December last year, the deceased wanted to sell eight tins of 'akpeteshie' to some customers at Bibiani in the Western region and therefore went to Kejetia to look for a vehicle.

She said at Kejetia, Nana Agyemang who plies the Kumasi-Bibiani route, agreed to take him, but on reaching Nyinahin in the evening, he told the deceased that he could not continue the journey to Bibiani since it was getting late.

Chief Inspector Dinkyini said Nana Agyemang told the deceased that he knew of a friend who would buy all his tins of 'akpeteshie' and consequently introduced him (deceased) to Yaw Donkor.

She said Donkor who expressed interest in buying all the eight tins of the akpteshie at 3.4 million cedis asked the deceased to give him two weeks to make payment to which he agreed.

Chief Inspector Dinkyini said before the expiration of the two weeks, Nana Agyemang visited Donkor at Nyinahin and during conversation, told him (Donkor) in the presence of Yaw Tawiah that if they could help him get human blood and parts, he would give them 30 million cedis each as a friend needed them urgently for ritual purposes.

She said since Donkor and Tawiah could not readily think of anyone to kill and take the blood and parts for the ritual, Nana Agyemang suggested to them to kill the deceased.

The prosecutor said following this suggestion the accused persons held a meeting with Nana Marfo who was to buy the blood and parts and planned how to carry out the crime.

Chief Inspector Dinkyini said when the deceased went to Donkor after the two weeks to collect his money, he told him to come back on February 25, 2004, since Nana Marfo who he said bought the drinks would meet them on that day and pay him his money.

She said, however that, when the deceased went back to Donkor on the February 25 as agreed, instead of paying him, Nana Marfo rather told him and all the accused persons to accompany him to Kyereyase village near Nyinahin to carry some goods and on the way Nana Agyemang allegedly shot Kwame Marfo in the chest and he died instantly.

Chief Inspector Dinkyini said after collecting some blood, Nana Marfo then amputated his arms and cut off his genital organ and with the help of the other accused persons buried him.

She said when after sometime her husband did not return home, Madam Akua Nyamekye, wife of the deceased went to Nyinahin and to Donkor to enquire about her husband but was surprised when Donkor told her that her husband had returned to Kumasi.

The prosecutor said, not satisfied with what she was told, Madam Nyamekye reported to the police who arrested Donkor on March 2, this year.

Chief Inspector Dinkyini said during interrogation, Donkor told the police that he had been murdered and named the accused persons as accomplices and further narrated how the deceased was murdered.

Join our Newsletter