Modern Ghana logo

FEATURED: Ghana Needs A College Of Common Sense To Function Well...

body-container-line
Regional News | May 21, 2004

Two point six billion-cedi market complex inaugurated

GNA

Nusuta (Ash), May 21, GNA - A 2.6 billion-cedi market complex built for the people of Nsuta near Asante-Mampong and neighbouring communities under the promotion of District Capitals (PORODICAP) Phase II programme, has been commissioned at Nsuta.

The German Technical Co-operation (GTZ) provided 90 percent of the funds while the Sekyere West district assembly contributed the remaining 10 percent as a counterpart fund.

The market has facilities such as stores and stalls, warehouses, restaurants, meat shop and other structures.

Miss Dorothea Groth, the Counsellor for GTZ, said Germany has confidence in the future prosperity of Ghana.

She said with hard work, transparency coupled with good governance, Ghanaians would overcome their difficulties and become self-sufficient. Miss Groth said Germany has the same priority with Ghana in respect of decentralisation, adding that it was for this reason that her country has extended much financial and technological assistance to Ghana in her quest to build markets and to boost the transportation industry. Mrs Levina Owusu, Project Co-ordinator, catalogued benefits that could be derived from such a market complex if well maintained and patronised.

She called for prompt payment of revenue and taxes, which she described as the engine of the socio-economic development of any country.

Nana Adu Agyei Bonsafo III, Nsutahene, appealed to the government to rehabilitate the roads linking Nsuta to the farming communities to facilitate the transportation of food crops to the market. A committee charged with an oversight responsibilities of ensuring the proper management of the market and other facilities was also inaugurated.

body-container-line